1. Then Job answered:
2. I have heard many such things. What miserable comforters you are!
3. When will your airy words end? What ails you and keeps you arguing?
4. I too could talk as you do, if you were in my place; I could declaim over you and shake my head at you.
5. I would give you strength, and comfort you with words.
6. Yet if I talk, my suffering is not eased, if I refrain, it does not go far from me.
7. I am upset with such ill will; an evil band
8. takes hold of me. They stand to testify against me; and answer me with slanders.
9. They assail me with fury and gnash their teeth at me; my enemies lord it over me.
10. With open mouths they jeer at me; they strike my cheek, and together they mass themselves against me.
11. God has given me over to evil men and cast me into the clutches of the wicked.
12. All was well until he shattered me, but he seized me and dashed me to pieces. Having set me up for a target,
13. he had his arrows pointed at me, striking from every direction, piercing my sides without pity, spilling my gall on the ground.
14. Like a warrior he bears down on me, thrusting me unceasingly.
15. I have fastened sackcloth over my skin and buried my brow in dust.
16. My face is red with weeping, deep shadows ring my eyes;
17. yet my hands are free of violence, and my prayer sincere.
18. O earth, do not cover my blood; let not my cry come to rest!
19. Even now my witness is in heaven and my defender is on high.
20. Now my prayer has gone up to God as I poured out my tears before him.
21. Would that man could discuss with God as he does with his fellows.
22. My years are numbered, and soon I will take the road of no return.