1. Yahweh said to Moses, "See, I have made you like a god in Pharaoh's eyes; and Aaron, your brother, will be your prophet.
2. You will tell Aaron all that I command you, and he will tell Pharaoh to let the people of Israel leave the country.
3. But I will make him stubborn and although I multiply my signs and miracles,
4. he will not listen to you. Then I will use my power and lead my armies, my people, the sons of Israel out of Egypt by means of great punishments.
5. Then will the Egyptians know that I am Yahweh when they see with what power I bring the people of Israel out of their country."
6. Moses and Aaron did exactly what Yahweh had commanded.
7. Moses was eighty and Aaron eighty-three when they spoke to Pharaoh.
8. Yahweh spoke to Moses and Aaron saying,
9. "When Pharaoh speaks to you and tells you to perform a miracle to prove the truth of what you say, you will say to Aaron: 'Take your staff and throw it down before Pharaoh, and it will become a snake.'"
10. Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did what Yahweh had commanded. Aaron threw his staff before Pharaoh and his ministers, and it became a snake.
11. Pharaoh then summoned wise men and magicians, and they, too, the magicians of Egypt, did the same by means of their secret arts.
12. Each one threw his staff down and the staffs became serpents. But Aaron's staff swallowed the staffs of the magicians.
13. However, Pharaoh was obstinate and he did not listen to them, as Yahweh had said.
14. Yahweh said to Moses, "Pharaoh is stubborn; he has refused to let the people leave.
15. So you will go to Pharaoh in the morning, when he goes to the water. Wait for him on the bank of the river and hold in your hand the staff that turned into a serpent.
16. You will say to him, "Yahweh, the God of the Hebrews, sent me to say to you: 'Let my people go to worship me in the desert; but so far you have not listened.
17. By this you shall learn that I am Yahweh: Look, I will strike the waters of the Nile with the staff I have in my hand, and they will turn into blood!
18. The fish in the river will die and the Nile will become foul, and the Egyptians will no longer be able to drink its water."
19. Yahweh said to Moses, "Say to Aaron: 'Take your staff and stretch out your hand over the waters of Egypt, rivers, canals, ponds and pools of water; and they will turn into blood. There will be blood throughout Egypt, even in vessels of wood and stone.'"
20. Moses and Aaron did as Yahweh had commanded. Aaron raised his staff and struck the waters of the Nile, in the presence of Pharaoh and his ministers, and all the water in the Nile turned to blood.
21. The fish in the river died and the Nile was contaminated so that the Egyptians could no longer drink the water of the Nile. There was blood all over the country of Egypt.
22. The Egyptian magicians, however, could do the same with their secret crafts, and Pharaoh remained unmoved; and, as Yahweh had foretold, he would not listen to Moses and Aaron.
23. Pharaoh returned to his house as if nothing of importance had happened.
24. And yet all the Egyptians were digging near the Nile for water to drink because they could not drink from the river.
25. Seven days passed after Yahweh had struck the Nile.
26. Yahweh said to Moses, "Go to Pharaoh and tell him that Yahweh says, 'Let my people go to worship me!
27. If you refuse to let them leave, I will punish the country with a plague of frogs.
28. The Nile will teem with frogs. They will invade your house, your bedroom and your bed, your servants' and your people's houses, your ovens and your kneading bowls.
29. Over you and your people the frogs will climb."