Wisdom of Solomon, 9
1. God of my fathers, LORD of mercy. you who have made all things by your word
2. And in your wisdom have established man to rule the creatures produced by you,
3. To govern the world in holiness and justice, and to render judgment in integrity of heart:
4. Give me Wisdom, the attendant at your throne, and reject me not from among your children;
5. For I am your servant, the son of your handmaid, a man weak and short-lived and lacking in comprehension of judgment and of laws.
6. Indeed, though one be perfect among the sons of men, if Wisdom, who comes from you, be not with him, he shall be held in no esteem.
7. You have chosen me king over your people and magistrate for your sons and daughters.
8. You have bid me build a temple on your holy mountain and an altar in the city that is your dwelling place, a copy of the holy tabernacle which you had established from of old.
9. Now with you is Wisdom, who knows your works and was present when you made the world; Who understands what is pleasing in your eyes and what is conformable with your commands.
10. Send her forth from your holy heavens and from your glorious throne dispatch her That she may be with me and work with me, that I may know what is your pleasure.
11. For she knows and understands all things, and will guide me discreetly in my affairs and safeguard me by her glory;
12. Thus my deeds will be acceptable, and I shall judge your people justly and be worthy of my father's throne.
13. For what man knows God's counsel, or who can conceive what our LORD intends?
14. For the deliberations of mortals are timid, and unsure are our plans.
15. For the corruptible body burdens the soul and the earthen shelter weighs down the mind that has many concerns.
16. And scarce do we guess the things on earth, and what is within our grasp we find with difficulty; but when things are in heaven, who can search them out?
17. Or who ever knew your counsel, except you had given Wisdom and sent your holy spirit from on high?
18. And thus were the paths of those on earth made straight, and men learned what was your pleasure, and were saved by Wisdom.