1. The heads of families among the Levites came to Eleazar the priest and to Joshua son of Nun and to the heads of families of all the tribes of Israel.
2. At Shiloh in the land of Canaan, they said to them, "Yahweh commanded through Moses that we should be given towns to live in, with the pasture land around them for our cattle."
3. In accordance with Yahweh's command, the Israelites gave the Levites certain cities and pasture lands out of their own territories.
4. First among the Levite clan of Kohath, the families descended from Aaron the priest, were given thirteen towns from the territories of Judah, Simeon and Benjamin;
5. the other Kohath families received, clan by clan, ten towns from the territories of Ephraim, Dan and half the tribe of Manasseh.
6. The clan of Gershon was given thirteen towns from the territories of Issachar, Asher, Naphtali and half the tribe of Manasseh in Bashan.
7. The families of the clan of Merari were given twelve towns from the territories of Reuben, Gad and Zebulun.
8. These towns and the pasture lands near them the Israelites gave to the Levites by drawing lots, as Yahweh had commanded through Moses.
9. These are the towns of Judah and Simeon that Joshua gave
10. to the descendants of Aaron who were of the Kohathite clan of the Levites, the first to be given some cities.
11. They gave them Kiriath-arba, the chief city of the Anakim, which is now Hebron, in the hill country of Judah, with the pasture lands around it.
12. But the fields and surrounding villages of this town had already been given to Caleb son of Jephunneh as his property.
13. To the descendants of Aaron the priest, they gave Hebron, a city of refuge, and the pasture lands near it; also Libnah with its pasture lands,
14. and Jattir, Eshtemoa,
15. Holon, Debir,
16. Ashan, Juttah and Bethshemesh, each with its pasture lands: nine towns taken from these two tribes.
17. From the territory of Benjamin four towns: Gibeon and Geba with their pasture lands,
18. Anathoth and Almon with theirs.
19. The towns of the priests, the descendants of Aaron, were thirteen towns in all, with their pasture lands.
20. Some towns from the territory of Ephraim were given to the other families of the Levite clan of Kohath:
21. the city of refuge, Shechem, with its pasture lands, in the hill country of Ephraim, together with Gezer,
22. Kibzaim and Beth-horon, each with its pasture lands: four towns.
23. From the territory of Dan, Elteke, Gibbethon,
24. Aijalon and Gathrimmon with their pasture lands: four towns.
25. From the territory of half the tribe of Manasseh they were given two towns: Taanach and Jibleam with their pasture lands.
26. In all, ten towns with their pasture lands were given to the families of the clan of Kohath.
27. To the Levite clan of Gershon were given the city of refuge Golan in Bashan and also Ashtaroth, each with its pasture lands: two towns, both from the territory of the half tribe of Manasseh.
28. From the territory of Issachar four towns: Kishion, Dobrath,
29. Jarmuth and En-gannim, each with its pasture lands.
30. From the territory of Asher four towns: Mishal, Abdon,
31. Helkath and Rehob, each with its pasture lands.
32. From the territoy of Naphtali three towns: Kedesh, the city of refuge in Galilee, Hammoth-dor and Rakkath, each with its pasture lands.
33. The Gershonites according to their clans were given thirteen towns in all with their pasture lands.
34. To the clans of Merari, the rest of the Levites, were given four towns with their pasture lands from the territory of Zebulun:
35. Jokneam, Kartah, Rimmon and Nahalal.
36. From the territory of Reuben, beyond the Jordan four towns: the city of refuge Bezer, Jahaz,
37. Kedemoth and Mephaath, each with its pasture lands.
38. From the tribeof Gad four towns: the city of refuge Ramoth-gilead, Mahanaim,
39. Heshbon and Jazer, each with pasture lands.
40. A total of twelve towns were given to the clan of Merari.
41. The towns thus given to the Levites from the Israelite inheritance were
42. forty-eight, with their pasture lands. All these towns, as well as the pasture lands around them, were given to the Levites.
43. So it was that Yahweh gave the Israelites all the land he had solemnly promised to give their ancestors. They took possession of it and began to live there.
44. Yahweh gave them peace throughout their land just as he had promised their ancestors. Not one of their enemies was able to stand against them; Yahweh gave them victory over all their enemies
45. and kept all the promises he had made to the people of Israel.