1. Then he commanded the steward of his house, "Fill the men's sacks with food, as much as they can carry, and put each man's money in the mouth of his sack,
2. and put my cup, the silver cup, in the mouth of the sack of the youngest, with his money for the grain." And he did as Joseph told him.
3. As soon as the morning was light, the men were sent away with their asses.
4. When they had gone but a short distance from the city, Joseph said to his steward, "Up, follow after the men; and when you overtake them, say to them, `Why have you returned evil for good? Why have you stolen my silver cup?
5. Is it not from this that my lord drinks, and by this that he divines? You have done wrong in so doing.'"
6. When he overtook them, he spoke to them these words.
7. They said to him, "Why does my lord speak such words as these? Far be it from your servants that they should do such a thing!
8. Behold, the money which we found in the mouth of our sacks, we brought back to you from the land of Canaan; how then should we steal silver or gold from your lord's house?
9. With whomever of your servants it be found, let him die, and we also will be my lord's slaves."
10. He said, "Let it be as you say: he with whom it is found shall be my slave, and the rest of you shall be blameless."
11. Then every man quickly lowered his sack to the ground, and every man opened his sack.
12. And he searched, beginning with the eldest and ending with the youngest; and the cup was found in Benjamin's sack.
13. Then they rent their clothes, and every man loaded his ass, and they returned to the city.
14. When Judah and his brothers came to Joseph's house, he was still there; and they fell before him to the ground.
15. Joseph said to them, "What deed is this that you have done? Do you not know that such a man as I can indeed divine?"
16. And Judah said, "What shall we say to my lord? What shall we speak? Or how can we clear ourselves? God has found out the guilt of your servants; behold, we are my lord's slaves, both we and he also in whose hand the cup has been found."
17. But he said, "Far be it from me that I should do so! Only the man in whose hand the cup was found shall be my slave; but as for you, go up in peace to your father."
18. Then Judah went up to him and said, "O my lord, let your servant, I pray you, speak a word in my lord's ears, and let not your anger burn against your servant; for you are like Pharaoh himself.
19. My lord asked his servants, saying, `Have you a father, or a brother?'
20. And we said to my lord, `We have a father, an old man, and a young brother, the child of his old age; and his brother is dead, and he alone is left of his mother's children; and his father loves him.'
21. Then you said to your servants, `Bring him down to me, that I may set my eyes upon him.'
22. We said to my lord, `The lad cannot leave his father, for if he should leave his father, his father would die.'
23. Then you said to your servants, `Unless your youngest brother comes down with you, you shall see my face no more.'
24. When we went back to your servant my father we told him the words of my lord.
25. And when our father said, `Go again, buy us a little food,'
26. we said, `We cannot go down. If our youngest brother goes with us, then we will go down; for we cannot see the man's face unless our youngest brother is with us.'
27. Then your servant my father said to us, `You know that my wife bore me two sons;
28. one left me, and I said, Surely he has been torn to pieces; and I have never seen him since.
29. If you take this one also from me, and harm befalls him, you will bring down my gray hairs in sorrow to Sheol.'
30. Now therefore, when I come to your servant my father, and the lad is not with us, then, as his life is bound up in the lad's life,
31. when he sees that the lad is not with us, he will die; and your servants will bring down the gray hairs of your servant our father with sorrow to Sheol.
32. For your servant became surety for the lad to my father, saying, `If I do not bring him back to you, then I shall bear the blame in the sight of my father all my life.'
33. Now therefore, let your servant, I pray you, remain instead of the lad as a slave to my lord; and let the lad go back with his brothers.
34. For how can I go back to my father if the lad is not with me? I fear to see the evil that would come upon my father."