1. And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
2. Son of man, What is the vine tree more than any tree, [or than] a branch which is among the trees of the forest?
3. Shall wood be taken thereof to do any work? or will [men] take a pin of it to hang any vessel thereon?
4. Behold, it is cast into the fire for fuel; the fire devoureth both the ends of it, and the midst of it is burned. Is it meet for [any] work?
5. Behold, when it was whole, it was meet for no work: how much less shall it be meet yet for [any] work, when the fire hath devoured it, and it is burned?
6. Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; As the vine tree among the trees of the forest, which I have given to the fire for fuel, so will I give the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
7. And I will set my face against them; they shall go out from [one] fire, and [another] fire shall devour them; and ye shall know that I [am] the LORD, when I set my face against them.
8. And I will make the land desolate, because they have committed a trespass, saith the Lord GOD.