1. A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
2. The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.
3. The eyes of the LORD [are] in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
4. A wholesome tongue [is] a tree of life: but perverseness therein [is] a breach in the spirit.
5. A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent.
6. In the house of the righteous [is] much treasure: but in the revenues of the wicked is trouble.
7. The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish [doeth] not so.
8. The sacrifice of the wicked [is] an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright [is] his delight.
9. The way of the wicked [is] an abomination unto the LORD: but he loveth him that followeth after righteousness.
10. Correction [is] grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: [and] he that hateth reproof shall die.
11. Hell and destruction [are] before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?
12. A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him: neither will he go unto the wise.
13. A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
14. The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools feedeth on foolishness.
15. All the days of the afflicted [are] evil: but he that is of a merry heart [hath] a continual feast.
16. Better [is] little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.
17. Better [is] a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
18. A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but [he that is] slow to anger appeaseth strife.
19. The way of the slothful [man is] as an hedge of thorns: but the way of the righteous [is] made plain.
20. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish man despiseth his mother.
21. Folly [is] joy to [him that is] destitute of wisdom: but a man of understanding walketh uprightly.
22. Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.
23. A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word [spoken] in due season, how good [is it]!
24. The way of life [is] above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.
25. The LORD will destroy the house of the proud: but he will establish the border of the widow.
26. The thoughts of the wicked [are] an abomination to the LORD: but [the words] of the pure [are] pleasant words.
27. He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live.
28. The heart of the righteous studieth to answer: but the mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things.
29. The LORD [is] far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.
30. The light of the eyes rejoiceth the heart: [and] a good report maketh the bones fat.
31. The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise.
32. He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.
33. The fear of the LORD [is] the instruction of wisdom; and before honour [is] humility.