1. [For the choirmaster Psalm Of David] In you, Yahweh, I have taken refuge, let me never be put to shame, in your saving justice deliver me, rescue me,
2. turn your ear to me, make haste. Be for me a rock-fastness, a fortified citadel to save me.
3. You are my rock, my rampart; true to your name, lead me and guide me!
4. Draw me out of the net they have spread for me, for you are my refuge;
5. to your hands I commit my spirit, by you have I been redeemed. God of truth,
6. you hate those who serve useless idols; but my trust is in Yahweh:
7. I will delight and rejoice in your faithful love! You, who have seen my misery, and witnessed the miseries of my soul,
8. have not handed me over to the enemy, but have given me freedom to roam at large.
9. Take pity on me, Yahweh, for I am in trouble. Vexation is gnawing away my eyes, my soul deep within me.
10. For my life is worn out with sorrow, and my years with sighs. My strength gives way under my misery, and my bones are all wasted away.
11. The sheer number of my enemies makes me contemptible, loathsome to my neighbours, and my friends shrink from me in horror. When people see me in the street they take to their heels.
12. I have no more place in their hearts than a corpse, or something lost.
13. All I hear is slander -- terror wherever I turn -- as they plot together against me, scheming to take my life.
14. But my trust is in you, Yahweh; I say, 'You are my God,'
15. every moment of my life is in your hands, rescue me from the clutches of my foes who pursue me;
16. let your face shine on your servant, save me in your faithful love.
17. I call on you, Yahweh, so let disgrace fall not on me, but on the wicked. Let them go down to Sheol in silence,
18. muzzles on their lying mouths, which speak arrogantly against the upright in pride and contempt.
19. Yahweh, what quantities of good things you have in store for those who fear you, and bestow on those who make you their refuge, for all humanity to see.
20. Safe in your presence you hide them, far from human plotting, shielding them in your tent, far from contentious tongues.
21. Blessed be Yahweh who works for me miracles of his faithful love (in a fortified city)!
22. In a state of terror I cried, 'I have been cut off from your sight!' Yet you heard my plea for help when I cried out to you.
23. Love Yahweh, all his faithful: Yahweh protects his loyal servants, but he repays the arrogant with interest.
24. Be brave, take heart, all who put your hope in Yahweh.