1. Then Bildad the Shuhite replied and said:
2. When will you put an end to words? Reflect, and then we can have discussion.
3. Why are we accounted like the beasts, their equals in your sight?
4. You who tear yourself in your anger, shall the earth be neglected on your account (or the rock be moved out of its place)?
5. Truly, the light of the wicked is extinguished; no flame brightens his hearth.
6. The light is darkened in his tent; in spite of him, his lamp goes out.
7. His vigorous steps are hemmed in, and his own counsel casts him down.
8. For he rushes headlong into a net, and he wanders into a pitfall.
9. A trap seizes him by the heel, and a snare lays hold of him.
10. A noose for him is hid on the ground, and the toils for him on the way.
11. On every side terrors affright him; they harry him at each step.
12. Disaster is ready at his side,
13. the first-born of death consumes his limbs.
14. Fiery destruction lodges in his tent, and marches him off to the king of terrors. He is plucked from the security of his tent;
15. over his abode brimstone is scattered.
16. Below, his roots dry up, and above, his branches wither.
17. His memory perishes from the land, and he has no name on the earth.
18. He is driven from light into darkness, and banished out of the world.
19. He has neither son nor grandson among his people, nor any survior where once he dwelt.
20. They who come after shall be appalled at his fate; they who went before are struck with horror.
21. So is it then with the dwelling of the impious man, and such is the place of him who knows not God!