1. "The Levitical priests, that is, all the tribe of Levi, shall have no portion or inheritance with Israel; they shall eat the offerings by fire to the LORD, and his rightful dues.
2. They shall have no inheritance among their brethren; the LORD is their inheritance, as he promised them.
3. And this shall be the priests' due from the people, from those offering a sacrifice, whether it be ox or sheep: they shall give to the priest the shoulder and the two cheeks and the stomach.
4. The first fruits of your grain, of your wine and of your oil, and the first of the fleece of your sheep, you shall give him.
5. For the LORD your God has chosen him out of all your tribes, to stand and minister in the name of the LORD, him and his sons for ever.
6. "And if a Levite comes from any of your towns out of all Israel, where he lives -- and he may come when he desires -- to the place which the LORD will choose,
7. then he may minister in the name of the LORD his God, like all his fellow-Levites who stand to minister there before the LORD.
8. They shall have equal portions to eat, besides what he receives from the sale of his patrimony.
9. "When you come into the land which the LORD your God gives you, you shall not learn to follow the abominable practices of those nations.
10. There shall not be found among you any one who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, any one who practices divination, a soothsayer, or an augur, or a sorcerer,
11. or a charmer, or a medium, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
12. For whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD; and because of these abominable practices the LORD your God is driving them out before you.
13. You shall be blameless before the LORD your God.
14. For these nations, which you are about to dispossess, give heed to soothsayers and to diviners; but as for you, the LORD your God has not allowed you so to do.
15. "The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your brethren -- him you shall heed --
16. just as you desired of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly, when you said, `Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, or see this great fire any more, lest I die.'
17. And the LORD said to me, `They have rightly said all that they have spoken.
18. I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brethren; and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him.
19. And whoever will not give heed to my words which he shall speak in my name, I myself will require it of him.
20. But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.'
21. And if you say in your heart, `How may we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?' --
22. when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word which the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously, you need not be afraid of him.