1. Then Tobias answered him, "Father, I will do everything that you have commanded me;
2. but how can I obtain the money when I do not know the man?"
3. Then Tobit gave him the receipt, and said to him, "Find a man to go with you and I will pay him wages as long as I live; and go and get the money."
4. So he went to look for a man; and he found Raphael, who was an angel,
5. but Tobias did not know it. Tobias said to him, "Can you go with me to Rages in Media? Are you acquainted with that region?"
6. The angel replied, "I will go with you; I am familiar with the way, and I have stayed with our brother Gabael."
7. Then Tobias said to him, "Wait for me, and I shall tell my father."
8. And he said to him, "Go, and do not delay." So he went in and said to his father, "I have found some one to go with me." He said, "Call him to me, so that I may learn to what tribe he belongs, and whether he is a reliable man to go with you."
9. So Tobias invited him in; he entered and they greeted each other.
10. Then Tobit said to him, "My brother, to what tribe and family do you belong? Tell me. "
11. But he answered, "Are you looking for a tribe and a family or for a man whom you will pay to go with your son?" And Tobit said to him, "I should like to know, my brother, your people and your name."
12. He replied, "I am Azarias the son of the great Ananias, one of your relatives."
13. Then Tobit said to him, "You are welcome, my brother. Do not be angry with me because I tried to learn your tribe and family. You are a relative of mine, of a good and noble lineage. For I used to know Ananias and Jathan, the sons of the great Shemaiah, when we went together to Jerusalem to worship and offered the first-born of our flocks and the tithes of our produce. They did not go astray in the error of our brethren. My brother, you come of good stock.
14. But tell me, what wages am I to pay you -- a drachma a day, and expenses for yourself as for my son?
15. And besides, I will add to your wages if you both return safe and sound." So they agreed to these terms.
16. Then he said to Tobias, "Get ready for the journey, and good success to you both." So his son made the preparations for the journey. And his father said to him, "Go with this man; God who dwells in heaven will prosper your way, and may his angel attend you." So they both went out and departed, and the young man's dog was with them.
17. But Anna, his mother, began to weep, and said to Tobit, "Why have you sent our child away? Is he not the staff of our hands as he goes in and out before us?
18. Do not add money to money, but consider it as rubbish as compared to our child.
19. For the life that is given to us by the Lord is enough for us."
20. And Tobit said to her, "Do not worry, my sister; he will return safe and sound, and your eyes will see him.
21. For a good angel will go with him; his journey will be successful, and he will come back safe and sound." Tob 5: So she stopped weeping.