1. Then Zophar the Naamathite spoke and said:
2. and because of this I am disturbed. So now my thoughts provide me with an answer, and from my understanding a spirit gives me a reply.
3. A rebuke which puts me to shame I hear,
4. Do you not know this from olden time, since man was placed upon the earth,
5. That the triumph of the wicked is short and the joy of the impious but for a moment?
6. Though his pride mount up to the heavens and his head reach to the clouds,
7. Yet he perishes forever like the fuel of his fire, and the onlookers say, "Where is he?"
8. Like a dream he takes flight and is not found again; he fades away like a vision of the night.
9. The eye which saw him does so no more; nor shall his dwelling again behold him.
10. and his hands shall yield up his riches.
11. Though his frame is full of youthful vigor, this shall lie with him in the dust.
12. Though wickedness is sweet in his mouth, and he hides it under his tongue,
13. Though he retains it and will not let it go but keeps it still within his mouth,
14. Yet in his stomach the food shall turn; it shall be venom of asps inside him.
15. The riches he swallowed he shall disgorge; God shall compel his belly to disown them.
16. The poison of asps he shall drink in; the viper's fangs shall slay him.
17. He shall see no streams of oil, no torrents of honey or milk.
18. Restoring his gains, he shall not enjoy them; though his wealth increases, he shall not rejoice.
19. Because he has oppressed the poor, and stolen a patrimony he had not built up,
20. Though he has known no quiet in his greed, his treasures shall not save him.
21. Therefore his prosperity shall not endure,
22. When he abounds to overflowing, he shall be brought into straits, and nought shall be left of his goods.
23. God shall send against him the fury of his wrath and rain down his missiles of war upon him.
24. Should he escape the iron weapon, the bow of bronze shall pierce him through;
25. The dart shall come out of his back; terrors shall fall upon him.
26. Complete darkness is in store for him; the fire which shall consume him needs not to be fanned.
27. The heavens shall reveal his guilt, and the earth shall rise up against him.
28. The flood shall sweep away his house with the waters that run off in the day of God's anger.
29. This is the portion of a wicked man, and the heritage appointed him by God.