1. Job spoke next. He said:
2. My lament is still rebellious; despite my groans, his hand is just as heavy.
3. Will no one help me to know how to travel to his dwelling?
4. I should set out my case to him, advancing any number of grievances.
5. Then I could learn his defence, every word of it, taking note of everything he said to me.
6. Would he put all his strength into this debate with me? No, he would only have to give his attention to me,
7. to recognise his opponent as upright and so I should win my case for ever.
8. If I go to the east, he is not there; or to the west, I still cannot see him.
9. If I seek him in the north, he is not to be found, invisible as ever, if I turn to the south.
10. And yet he knows every step I take! Let him test me in the crucible: I shall come out pure gold.
11. My footsteps have followed close in his, I have walked in his way without swerving;
12. I have not neglected the commandment of his lips, in my heart I have cherished the words of his mouth.
13. But once he has made up his mind, who can change it? Whatever he plans, that he carries out.
14. No doubt, then, but he will carry out my sentence, like so many other decrees that he has made.
15. That is why I am full of fear before him, and the more I think, the greater grows my dread of him.
16. God has undermined my courage, Shaddai has filled me with fear.
17. The darkness having failed to destroy me, I am plunged back into obscurity by him!