1. 'Do not judge, and you will not be judged;
2. because the judgements you give are the judgements you will get, and the standard you use will be the standard used for you.
3. Why do you observe the splinter in your brother's eye and never notice the great log in your own?
4. And how dare you say to your brother, "Let me take that splinter out of your eye," when, look, there is a great log in your own?
5. Hypocrite! Take the log out of your own eye first, and then you will see clearly enough to take the splinter out of your brother's eye.
6. 'Do not give dogs what is holy; and do not throw your pearls in front of pigs, or they may trample them and then turn on you and tear you to pieces.
7. 'Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you.
8. Everyone who asks receives; everyone who searches finds; everyone who knocks will have the door opened.
9. Is there anyone among you who would hand his son a stone when he asked for bread?
10. Or would hand him a snake when he asked for a fish?
11. If you, then, evil as you are, know how to give your children what is good, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him!
12. 'So always treat others as you would like them to treat you; that is the Law and the Prophets.
13. 'Enter by the narrow gate, since the road that leads to destruction is wide and spacious, and many take it;
14. but it is a narrow gate and a hard road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
15. 'Beware of false prophets who come to you disguised as sheep but underneath are ravenous wolves.
16. You will be able to tell them by their fruits. Can people pick grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles?
17. In the same way, a sound tree produces good fruit but a rotten tree bad fruit.
18. A sound tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor a rotten tree bear good fruit.
19. Any tree that does not produce good fruit is cut down and thrown on the fire.
20. I repeat, you will be able to tell them by their fruits.
21. 'It is not anyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord," who will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but the person who does the will of my Father in heaven.
22. When the day comes many will say to me, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, drive out demons in your name, work many miracles in your name?"
23. Then I shall tell them to their faces: I have never known you; away from me, all evil doers!
24. 'Therefore, everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a sensible man who built his house on rock.
25. Rain came down, floods rose, gales blew and hurled themselves against that house, and it did not fall: it was founded on rock.
26. But everyone who listens to these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a stupid man who built his house on sand.
27. Rain came down, floods rose, gales blew and struck that house, and it fell; and what a fall it had!'
28. Jesus had now finished what he wanted to say, and his teaching made a deep impression on the people
29. because he taught them with authority, unlike their own scribes.