1. "To the angel of the church in Sardis, write this: " 'The one who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars says this: "I know your works, that you have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead.
2. Be watchful and strengthen what is left, which is going to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God.
3. Remember then how you accepted and heard; keep it, and repent. If you are not watchful, I will come like a thief, and you will never know at what hour I will come upon you.
4. However, you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments; they will walk with me dressed in white, because they are worthy.
5. " '"The victor will thus be dressed in white, and I will never erase his name from the book of life but will acknowledge his name in the presence of my Father and of his angels.
6. " '"Whoever has ears ought to hear what the Spirit says to the churches."'
7. "To the angel of the church in Philadelphia, write this: " 'The holy one, the true, who holds the key of David, who opens and no one shall close, who closes and no one shall open, says this:
8. " '"I know your works (behold, I have left an open door before you, which no one can close). You have limited strength, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.
9. Behold, I will make those of the assembly of Satan who claim to be Jews and are not, but are lying, behold I will make them come and fall prostrate at your feet, and they will realize that I love you.
10. Because you have kept my message of endurance, I will keep you safe in the time of trial that is going to come to the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth.
11. I am coming quickly. Hold fast to what you have, so that no one may take your crown.
12. " '"The victor I will make into a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will never leave it again. On him I will inscribe the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from my God, as well as my new name.
13. " '"Whoever has ears ought to hear what the Spirit says to the churches."'
14. "To the angel of the church in Laodicea, write this: " 'The Amen, the faithful and true witness, the source of God's creation, says this:
15. "I know your works; I know that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either cold or hot.
16. So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.
17. For you say, 'I am rich and affluent and have no need of anything,' and yet do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.
18. I advise you to buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may be rich, and white garments to put on so that your shameful nakedness may not be exposed, and buy ointment to smear on your eyes so that you may see.
19. Those whom I love, I reprove and chastise. Be earnest, therefore, and repent.
20. " '"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, (then) I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me.
21. I will give the victor the right to sit with me on my throne, as I myself first won the victory and sit with my Father on his throne.
22. " '"Whoever has ears ought to hear what the Spirit says to the churches."'"