1. Hear the word of Yahweh, Israel! for Yahweh has an accusation to bring against the inhabitants of this land. There is neither truth nor goodness nor knowledge of God in the country;
2. only perjury, lies, murder, theft and adultery, with continual bloodshed.
3. That is why the country is in mourning with all who live there wasting away; the beasts of the field, the birds of the air, even the fish are dying.
4. But let no one apologize or accuse another, for it is you, priest, whom I single out!
5. You will stumble in broad daylight, and the prophet will fall with you into darkness; I will silence you.
6. My people perish for want of knowledge. As you have dropped the Knowledge, I will drop you from my priesthood, and since you ignore the law of your God, I, too, will ignore your children.
7. All have offended me; they have exchanged me, their Glory, for idols, their shame.
8. Since they eat of the sacrifices for sin, they like my people to sin.
9. Yet it will be for the people as for the priest; I shall punish both for their conduct and repay them for their deeds.
10. They will eat and not be satisfied; they will multiply their prostitutions but remain without child, for they have no reverence for Yahweh.
11. Harlotry, wine and liquors have taken hold of their hearts.
12. My people consult a wooden idol and rely on a rod for information. A spirit of adultery leads them astray and makes them unfaithful to their God.
13. They sacrifice on the mountain tops and offer incense on the hills, under the oak, the poplar and the terebinth, wherever the shade is pleasant.
14. That is why, if your daughters turn to prostitution and your daughters-in-law to adultery, I will not punish them, for you yourselves go off with harlots and sacrifice with temple prostitutes. A senseless people destroys itself.
15. If Israel is a prostitute, there is no reason for Judah to sin. Do not go to Gilgal or Beth-aven; do not swear, "As Yahweh lives!")
16. Since Israel is as obstinate as a stubborn cow, will Yahweh pasture it gently as a lamb?
17. Ephraim is devoted to idols, let Yahweh leave him alone!
18. After being drunk with wine they go with prostitutes; they prefer their idols to their Glory.
19. A whirlwind will sweep them away and they will have gained nothing with their sacrifices.