1. Listen to what Yahweh said to me, "Stand up, let the mountains hear your claim, and the hills listen to your plea."
2. Hear, O mountains, Yahweh's complaint! Foundations of the earth, pay attention! For Yahweh has a case against his people, and will argue it with Israel.
3. "O my people, what have I done to you? In what way have I been a burden to you? Answer me.
4. I brought you out of Egypt; I rescued you from the land of bondage; I sent Moses, Aaron and Miriam to lead you.
5. O my people, remember what Balak, king of Moab, plotted, and what Balaam, son of Beor, answered him. Remember your journey from Shittim to Gilgal, how you have come to know Yahweh's righteous paths."
6. "What shall I bring when I come to Yahweh and bow down before God the most high? Shall I come with burnt offerings, with sacrifices of yearling calves?
7. Will Yahweh be pleased with thousands of rams, with an overabundance of oil libations? Should I offer my firstborn for my sins, the fruit of my body for my wrongdoing?"
8. "You have been told, O man, what is good and what Yahweh requires of you: to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
9. The voice of Yahweh calls to the city, in order to save those who fear his Name."
10. "Is there still within you unjust wealth and accursed short measure?
11. Shall I approve your false scales and your bags of false weights?
12. O city whose rich are full of violence, whose citizens speak falsehood, men of deceitful tongue!
13. See, I am striking you a grievous blow, making you desolate because of your sins.
14. You shall eat but not be satisfied and your insides will go on crying. What you overtake, you will not carry off, and those who escape I will hand them over to the sword.
15. You shall sow but not reap. You shall tread your olives, but not anoint yourselves with the oil. You shall tread the grapes but not drink the wine.
16. You keep the rules of Omri and follow the examples of Ahab's court. So I will give you up to devastation, so that your citizens become an object of derision. You shall bear the scorn of the peoples."