1. The man had intercourse with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain. 'I have acquired a man with the help of Yahweh,' she said.
2. She gave birth to a second child, Abel, the brother of Cain. Now Abel became a shepherd and kept flocks, while Cain tilled the soil.
3. Time passed and Cain brought some of the produce of the soil as an offering for Yahweh,
4. while Abel for his part brought the first-born of his flock and some of their fat as well. Yahweh looked with favour on Abel and his offering.
5. But he did not look with favour on Cain and his offering, and Cain was very angry and downcast.
6. Yahweh asked Cain, 'Why are you angry and downcast?
7. If you are doing right, surely you ought to hold your head high! But if you are not doing right, Sin is crouching at the door hungry to get you. You can still master him.'
8. Cain said to his brother Abel, 'Let us go out'; and while they were in the open country, Cain set on his brother Abel and killed him.
9. Yahweh asked Cain, 'Where is your brother Abel?' 'I do not know,' he replied. 'Am I my brother's guardian?'
10. 'What have you done?' Yahweh asked. 'Listen! Your brother's blood is crying out to me from the ground.
11. Now be cursed and banned from the ground that has opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood at your hands.
12. When you till the ground it will no longer yield up its strength to you. A restless wanderer you will be on earth.'
13. Cain then said to Yahweh, 'My punishment is greater than I can bear.
14. Look, today you drive me from the surface of the earth. I must hide from you, and be a restless wanderer on earth. Why, whoever comes across me will kill me!'
15. 'Very well, then,' Yahweh replied, 'whoever kills Cain will suffer a sevenfold vengeance.' So Yahweh put a mark on Cain, so that no one coming across him would kill him.
16. Cain left Yahweh's presence and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden.
17. Cain had intercourse with his wife, and she conceived and gave birth to Enoch. He became the founder of a city and gave the city the name of his son Enoch.
18. Enoch fathered Irad, and Irad fathered Mehujael; Mehujael fathered Methushael, and Methushael fathered Lamech.
19. Lamech married two women: the name of the first was Adah and the name of the second was Zillah.
20. Adah gave birth to Jabal: he was the ancestor of tent-dwelling herdsmen.
21. His brother's name was Jubal: he was the ancestor of all who play the harp and the pipe.
22. As for Zillah, she gave birth to Tubal-Cain: he was the ancestor of all who work copper and iron. Tubal-Cain's sister was Naamah.
23. Lamech said to his wives: Adah and Zillah, hear my voice, wives of Lamech, listen to what I say: I killed a man for wounding me, a boy for striking me.
24. Sevenfold vengeance for Cain, but seventy-sevenfold for Lamech.
25. Adam had intercourse with his wife, and she gave birth to a son whom she named Seth, 'because God has granted me other offspring', she said, 'in place of Abel, since Cain has killed him.'
26. A son was also born to Seth, and he named him Enosh. This man was the first to invoke the name Yahweh.