1. But Balaam saw that Yahweh willingly blessed Israel. He did not seek out signs as he had done before, but turned towards the desert.
2. He looked up and saw Israel camping, tribe by tribe; and the spirit of God came upon him
3. and he uttered his song: "Word of Balaam, son of Beor, the seer, the one who hears the words of God,
4. and beholds the vision of the Almighty, in ecstasy, with eyes unveiled.
5. How goodly are your tents, Jacob, your encampments, Israel!
6. Like valleys stretching far, like gardens beside a stream, like aloes planted by Yahweh, like cedars beside the waters.
7. His buckets are overflowing and his seeds are always watered. His king becomes stronger than Agag, and his kingdom grows.
8. His God brought him out of Egypt and fights for him like the horns of a wild ox. He devours the carcasses of his enemies and crushes their bones in pieces.
9. He lies like a lion, or like a lioness; who dares rouse him? Blessed is he who blesses you! And cursed is he who curses you!"
10. Balak's anger burned against Balaam; he beat his hands together and said, "I called you to curse my enemy and you have blessed him three times!
11. So flee to your place now. I said I would greatly reward you but Yahweh has taken away your reward."
12. Balaam said to Balak, "Did I not tell your messengers:
13. though Balak were to give me his house full of silver and gold, I could not do anything, good or bad, of my own accord beyond Yahweh's command? What Yahweh speaks, I speak.
14. Now, before I return to my people, come that I may warn you what this people will do to your people in the days to come."
15. Then Balaam pronounced his oracle: "Word of Balaam, son of Beor, the seer,
16. the one who hears the words of God, who has knowledge from the Most High, and sees the vision of the Almighty, in ecstasy, with eyes unveiled.
17. I see a figure, but not really. I behold him but not near. A star shall come forth from Jacob, he rises with a staff in his hand; he shatters the forehead of Moab and tears down all the sons of Sheth.
18. He conquers the land of Edom, and takes the cities of his enemies. Israel grows strong;
19. Jacob dominates."
20. Then Balaam looked to Amalek's country; he said, "Amalek, the first of the nations, will finally meet with destruction."
21. Then he looked to the Kainite's land and continued his oracle: Your dwelling place is enduring, your nest is set in the rock,
22. but you shall be destroyed; and finally Asshur shall take you captive."
23. Balaam continued his oracle and said: "Alas! Who will live when God does this?
24. Ships shall come from Kittim and shall conquer Asshur, but also Eber; they too shall be destroyed."
25. Then Balaam rose and set out on his journey home while Balak also went on his way.