1. Once more the sons of God came to present themselves before Yahweh, and again Satan was with them.
2. Yahweh asked Satan, "Where have you been?" Satan answered, "Going up and down the earth, roaming about."
3. Yahweh asked again, "Have you noticed my servant Job? No one on earth is as blameless and upright as he, a man who fears God and avoids evil. He still holds fast to his integrity even if you provoked me to ruin him without cause."
4. Satan replied, "Skin for skin! For his own life, anyone will give everything he owns.
5. But lay your hand against his own flesh and bones and he will curse you to your face."
6. Yahweh said to Satan, "Very well, he is in your power. But spare his life."
7. So Satan left the presence of Yahweh and afflicted Job with festering sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head.
8. Job took a potsherd to scrape himself and sat among the ashes.
9. His wife said to him, "Do you still hold on to your integrity? Curse God and die!"
10. Job replied, "You talk foolishly. If we receive good things from God, why can't we accept evil from him?" In spite of this calamity, Job did not utter a sinful word.
11. Three of Job's friends - Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite - heard of the misfortune that came upon him. They set out from their own homes and journeyed together to offer their sympathy and consolation to Job.
12. Failing to recognize him from the distance, they wept aloud, tore their garments and poured dust upon their heads.
13. For seven days and seven nights, they sat on the ground beside him. They did not say a word to Job, for they saw how terribly he suffered.