1. When he broke open the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.
2. And I saw that the seven angels who stood before God were given seven trumpets.
3. Another angel came and stood at the altar, holding a gold censer. He was given a great quantity of incense to offer, along with the prayers of all the holy ones, on the gold altar that was before the throne.
4. The smoke of the incense along with the prayers of the holy ones went up before God from the hand of the angel.
5. Then the angel took the censer, filled it with burning coals from the altar, and hurled it down to the earth. There were peals of thunder, rumblings, flashes of lightning, and an earthquake.
6. The seven angels who were holding the seven trumpets prepared to blow them.
7. When the first one blew his trumpet, there came hail and fire mixed with blood, which was hurled down to the earth. A third of the land was burned up, along with a third of the trees and all green grass.
8. When the second angel blew his trumpet, something like a large burning mountain was hurled into the sea. A third of the sea turned to blood,
9. a third of the creatures living in the sea died, and a third of the ships were wrecked.
10. When the third angel blew his trumpet, a large star burning like a torch fell from the sky. It fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water.
11. The star was called "Wormwood," and a third of all the water turned to wormwood. Many people died from this water, because it was made bitter.
12. When the fourth angel blew his trumpet, a third of the sun, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars were struck, so that a third of them became dark. The day lost its light for a third of the time, as did the night.
13. Then I looked again and heard an eagle flying high overhead cry out in a loud voice, "Woe! Woe! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth from the rest of the trumpet blasts that the three angels are about to blow!"