1. "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.
2. Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
3. You are already made clean by the word which I have spoken to you.
4. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
5. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
6. If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned.
7. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you.
8. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples.
9. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love.
10. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.
11. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
12. "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
13. Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14. You are my friends if you do what I command you.
15. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.
16. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.
17. This I command you, to love one another.
18. "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.
19. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.
20. Remember the word that I said to you, `A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also.
21. But all this they will do to you on my account, because they do not know him who sent me.
22. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin.
23. He who hates me hates my Father also.
24. If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would not have sin; but now they have seen and hated both me and my Father.
25. It is to fulfil the word that is written in their law, `They hated me without a cause.'
26. But when the Counselor comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness to me;
27. and you also are witnesses, because you have been with me from the beginning.