1. Call now! Will anyone respond to you? To which of the holy ones will you appeal?
2. Nay, impatience kills the fool and indignation slays the simpleton.
3. I have seen a fool spreading his roots, but his household suddenly decayed.
4. His children shall be far from safety; they shall be crushed at the gate without a rescuer.
5. What they have reaped the hungry shall eat up; (or God shall take it away by blight;) and the thirsty shall swallow their substance.
6. For mischief comes not out of the earth, nor does trouble spring out of the ground;
7. But man himself begets mischief, as sparks fly upward.
8. In your place, I would appeal to God, and to God I would state my plea.
10. He gives rain upon the earth and sends water upon the fields;
11. He sets up on high the lowly, and those who mourn he exalts to safety.
12. He frustrates the plans of the cunning, so that their hands achieve no success;
13. He catches the wise in their own ruses, and the designs of the crafty are routed.
14. They meet with darkness in the daytime, and at noonday they grope as though it were night.
15. But the poor from the edge of the sword and from the hand of the mighty, he saves.
16. Thus the unfortunate have hope, and iniquity closes her mouth.
17. Happy is the man whom God reproves! The Almighty's chastening do not reject.
18. For he wounds, but he binds up; he smites, but his hands give healing.
19. Out of six troubles he will deliver you, and at the seventh no evil shall touch you.
20. In famine he will deliver you from death, and in war from the threat of the sword;
21. From the scourge of the tongue you shall be hidden, and shall not fear approaching ruin.
22. At destruction and want you shall laugh; the beasts of the earth you need not dread.
23. You shall be in league with the stones of the field, and the wild beasts shall be at peace with you.
24. And you shall know that your tent is secure; taking stock of your household, you shall miss nothing.
25. You shall know that your descendants are many, and your offspring as the grass of the earth.
26. You shall approach the grave in full vigor, as a shock of grain comes in at its season.
27. Lo, this we have searched out; so it is! This we have heard, and you should know.