1. Zophar the Naamithite spoke:
2. Must these words go unanswered? Must you be right for talking so much?
3. Will your prattle keep us silent? Will no one answer your mocking?
4. You say to God that your way is right, that you are clean in his sight.
5. How I wish that God would speak and open his lips against you,
6. to show you the secrets of wisdom which put intelligence to shame, then you would know that God is recalling your sins.
7. Can you fathom the mysteries of God, probe the extent of his perfection?
8. It is higher than heaven - what can you do? Deeper than the world of death - what can you know?
9. Its measure is wider than the earth, broader than the sea.
10. Who can stop him when he passes, when he imprisons and calls to judgment?
11. He sees evil; he recognizes deceit. Will he not then take note of it?
12. So stupid men learn to be wise as wild donkeys become tame.
13. If you set your heart aright and stretch out your hands to him,
14. if you wash your hand of sin and allow no evil in your tent,
15. you will then raise your face in honor; having no fear, you will feel secure.
16. You will forget your suffering and recall it only as waters gone by.
17. Your life will be brighter than noonday and its darkness like the morning.
18. You will be comforted, for there is hope; you will be protected when you sleep.
19. You will lie down with no one to fear; many will come to court your favor.
20. But the eyes of the wicked will fail; they will lose all way of escape, their one hope - that death will come.