1. Eliphaz the Temanite spoke next:
2. Shall we speak? Do you mind? For who could remain silent?
3. Remember how you have taught many others, how you have strengthened their feeble hands.
4. Your words have supported those who wavered, have steadied the knees that faltered.
5. But when your turn has come, you are discouraged; as soon as you are struck, you are dismayed.
6. Should you not rely on your piety, and find assurance in your integrity?
7. Have you seen a guiltless man perish, or an upright man done away with?
8. As I see it, those who plow evil or those who sow trouble reap the same.
9. By the breath of God they are swept away; by the blast of his wrath they are destroyed.
10. The lion may roar and growl; it will fall, the teeth of its cubs will be broken.
11. The lion will die for lack of prey, and the whelps of its mate will stray.
12. I had a secret revelation; a whisper of it reached my ear.
13. Amid thoughts from night visions, when men are heavily wrapped in slumber,
14. I was seized with fear and trembling that shook me to my very bones.
15. A spirit passed over my face, and the hair of my body stood on end.
16. It stopped and stood before my eyes, but I could not make out what it was. Silence... and then - a voice was heard:
17. "Can a mortal be just in the eyes of God? Can a man be pure before his Maker?
18. If God can put no trust in his servants, if he can charge his angels with error,
19. how much more those who live in houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust, who are crushed as easily as moths!
20. Between dawn and dusk they perish, and unheeded, vanish forever,
21. Their tent has been unpegged and they died without knowing why.