1. Then Job answered by saying:
2. Now again my conversation is in bitterness, and the force of my scourging weighs more heavily on me because of my mourning.
3. Who will grant me that I might know and find him, and that I may approach even to his throne?
4. I would place judgment before his eye, and my mouth would fill with criticism,
5. so that I may know the words that he will answer me and understand what he will say to me.
6. I do not want him to contend with me with much strength, nor to overwhelm me with the bulk of his greatness.
7. Let him show fairness in response to me, and let my judgment reach to victory.
8. If I go to the east, he does not appear; if I go to the west, I will not understand him.
9. If I turn to the left, what can I do? I will not take hold of him. If I turn myself to the right, I will not see him.
10. Truly, he knows my way and has tested me like gold that passes through fire.
11. My feet have been following his footsteps; I have kept to his way and have not strayed from it.
12. I have not withdrawn from the commands of his lips, and the words of his mouth I have hidden in my sinews.
13. For he is alone, and no one is able to disturb his intention; and whatever his spirit wills, that he accomplishes.
14. And when he fulfills his will in me, many other similar ones will also be present with him.
15. And, for this reason, I have been troubled at his presence, and, when I consider him, I am approached by fear.
16. God has weakened my heart, and the Almighty has confused me.
17. Yet I have not perished because of the threatening darkness, nor has gloom covered my face.