1. Yahweh said to Moses, "Go now! Leave this place, you and the people you brought out from the land of Egypt and go to the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob when I said: 'I will give it to your descendants.'
2. I will send an Angel before you to drive out the Canaanites, the Amorites, the Hittites and the Perizzites, the Hivites and the Jebusites.
3. But I will not go with you to this land flowing with milk and honey, for you are a stiff-necked people and I might destroy you on the way."
4. When the people heard these distressing words they were very sad and none of them put on any ornaments.
5. Yahweh then said to Moses, "Say to the sons of Israel: 'You are a stiff-necked people. If I were to go with you, even for a moment, I would destroy you! Now, take off your orna-ments that I may know what I shall do to you."
6. And so the Israelites gave up their ornaments before leaving Mount Horeb.
7. Moses then took the Tent and pitched it for himself outside the camp, at a distance from it, and called it the Tent of Meeting. Whoever sought Yahweh would go out to the Tent of Meeting outside the camp.
8. And when Moses went to the tent all the people would stand, each one at the entrance to his tent and keep looking towards Moses until he entered the tent.
9. Now, as soon as Moses entered the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and remain at the entrance to the tent, while Yahweh spoke with Moses.
10. When all the people saw the pillar of cloud at the entrance to the tent, they would arise and worship, each one at the entrance to his own tent.
11. Then Yahweh would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his neighbor, and then Moses would return to the camp, but his servant Joshua, son of Nun, would not leave the tent.
12. Then Moses said to Yahweh, "You say to me: 'Lead this people up,' but you haven't told me who you will send with me and yet you have said that you know me by name and that I have found favor in your sight.
13. And now if I have found favor in your sight, let me know your ways, that I may know you and so find favor in your sight. Look, this people is your own people."
14. Yahweh said, "My Face will go with you and I will give you rest."
15. And Moses said, "If your Face does not come with us, do not take us from here.
16. And how will anyone here know that you look kindly on me and my people? Will it not be because you go with us? In that way, I myself and your people will be distinguished from every other nation on the face of the earth."
17. Yahweh then said to Moses, "What you have said I will do, for I look kindly on you and I have known you by name."
18. Moses said, "Then let me see your Glory."
19. And He said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you and proclaim the name of Yahweh before you. For I am gracious to whom I want to be gracious and I am merciful to whom I want to be merciful."
20. Then Yahweh said, "You cannot see my face because man cannot see me and live."
21. And he added, "See this place near me; you shall stand on the rock
22. and when my Glory passes I will put you in a hollow of the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by.
23. Then I will take away my hand and you shall see my