1. Who calls? Is it not Wisdom? Who lifts up her voice?
2. Is it not Knowledge? She shouts from the hilltops and waits by the crossroads;
3. in the vicinity of the city gates she speaks,
4. "It is you, O men, I address for my message is directed to all mankind,
5. so that the ignorant may learn and the thoughtless come to their senses.
6. Listen to me for I speak of vital things and everything I say is true.
7. Truthful words come from my mouth and my lips do not lend themselves to evil.
8. All my words are right, none are twisted or deceitful.
9. The intelligent will verify their truth, the wise perceive their sincerity.
10. Prefer my teaching to silver and seek wisdom rather than gold,
11. because wisdom has more value than any jewel and none of men's desires can equal it.
12. I, Wisdom, dwell with discretion and count prudence among my friends.
13. The fear of Yahweh is rejection of evil. I hate all pride, arrogance, wicked ways and lies,
14. but I love counsel, discretion, prudence and strength.
15. Kings reign by my power, their ministers issue just laws;
16. by me princes govern, and the great and noble of the earth as well.
17. I love those who love me and go to meet those who seek me.
18. Riches and honor are with me, true well-being and upright living.
19. More precious than silver and gold are my fruit and my yield.
20. I proceed on the path of righteousness and make use of the ways of justice,
21. giving riches to those who love me, and filling their cellars.
22. Yahweh created me first, at the beginning of his works.
23. He formed me from of old, from eternity, even before the earth.
24. The abyss did not exist when I was born, the springs of the sea had not gushed forth,
25. the mountains were still not set in their place nor the hills, when I was born
26. before he made the earth or countryside, or the first grains of the world's dust.
27. I was there when he made the skies and drew the earth's compass on the abyss,
28. when he formed the clouds above and when the springs of the ocean emerged;
29. when he made the sea with its limits, that it might not overflow. When he laid the foundations of the earth,
30. I was close beside him, the designer of his works, and I was his daily delight, forever playing in his presence,
31. playing throughout the world and delighting to be with the sons of men.
32. Now then, my sons, listen to me: happy are those who follow my ways.
33. Listen to my teaching and gain wisdom; do not ignore it.
34. Happy are those who listen to me and wait at my gates every day, watching, close to my threshold.
35. Those who find me find life: theirs is Yahweh's blessing.
36. Those who offend me will undergo affliction; they hate me for they love death.