1. [For the choirmaster Psalm Of David] Listen, God, to my voice as I plead, protect my life from fear of the enemy;
2. hide me from the league of the wicked, from the gang of evil-doers.
3. They sharpen their tongues like a sword, aim their arrows of poisonous abuse,
4. shoot at the innocent from cover, shoot suddenly, with nothing to fear.
5. They support each other in their evil designs, they discuss how to lay their snares. 'Who will see us?' they say,
6. 'or will penetrate our secrets?' He will do that, he who penetrates human nature to its depths, the depths of the heart.
7. God has shot them with his arrow, sudden were their wounds.
8. He brings them down because of their tongue, and all who see them shake their heads.
9. Everyone will be awestruck, proclaim what God has done, and understand why he has done it.
10. The upright will rejoice in Yahweh, will take refuge in him, and all the honest will praise him.