1. [Psalm Of Asaph] God, the pagans have invaded your heritage, they have defiled your holy temple, they have laid Jerusalem in ruins,
2. they have left the corpses of your servants as food for the birds of the air, the bodies of your faithful for the wild beasts.
3. Around Jerusalem they have shed blood like water, leaving no one to bury them.
4. We are the scorn of our neighbours, the butt and laughing-stock of those around us.
5. How long will you be angry, Yahweh? For ever? Is your jealousy to go on smouldering like a fire?
6. Pour out your anger on the nations who do not acknowledge you, and on the kingdoms that do not call on your name;
7. for they have devoured Jacob and devastated his home.
8. Do not count against us the guilt of former generations, in your tenderness come quickly to meet us, for we are utterly weakened;
9. help us, God our Saviour, for the glory of your name; Yahweh, wipe away our sins, rescue us for the sake of your name.
10. Why should the nations ask, 'Where is their God?' Let us see the nations suffer vengeance for shedding your servants' blood.
11. May the groans of the captive reach you, by your great strength save those who are condemned to death!
12. Repay our neighbours sevenfold for the insults they have levelled at you, Lord.
13. And we, your people, the flock that you pasture, will thank you for ever, will recite your praises from age to age.