1. Unless the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it. Unless the Lord keep the city, he watcheth in vain that keepeth it.
2. It is vain for you to rise before light, rise ye after you have sitten, you that eat the bread of sorrow. When he shall give sleep to his beloved,
3. behold the inheritance of the Lord are children: the reward, the fruit of the womb.
4. As arrows in the hand of the mighty, so the children of them that have been shaken.
5. Blessed is the man that hath filled the desire with them; he shall not be confounded when he shall speak to his enemies in the gate.