1. A Song of degrees of David. If [it had not been] the LORD who was on our side, now may Israel say;
2. If [it had not been] the LORD who was on our side, when men rose up against us:
3. Then they had swallowed us up quick, when their wrath was kindled against us:
4. Then the waters had overwhelmed us, the stream had gone over our soul:
5. Then the proud waters had gone over our soul.
6. Blessed [be] the LORD, who hath not given us [as] a prey to their teeth.
7. Our soul is escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowlers: the snare is broken, and we are escaped.
8. Our help [is] in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.