1. <To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.> Deliver me, O LORD, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man;
2. Which imagine mischiefs in [their] heart; continually are they gathered together [for] war.
3. They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison [is] under their lips. Selah.
4. Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from the violent man; who have purposed to overthrow my goings.
5. The proud have hid a snare for me, and cords; they have spread a net by the wayside; they have set gins for me. Selah.
6. I said unto the LORD, Thou [art] my God: hear the voice of my supplications, O LORD.
7. O GOD the Lord, the strength of my salvation, thou hast covered my head in the day of battle.
8. Grant not, O LORD, the desires of the wicked: further not his wicked device; [lest] they exalt themselves. Selah.
9. [As for] the head of those that compass me about, let the mischief of their own lips cover them.
10. Let burning coals fall upon them: let them be cast into the fire; into deep pits, that they rise not up again.
11. Let not an evil speaker be established in the earth: evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow [him].
12. I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted, [and] the right of the poor.
13. Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name: the upright shall dwell in thy presence.